Monday, July 23, 2007

Laugh Lounge

Did a cool yesterday at the Laugh Lounge. It was a medium-sized crowd, but rivaled just about any crowd I have been in front of. They loved every single comedian on the show, and everyone had a great time. I wish more comedy shows were this way.

Comedy continues to confuse me, as it is a constant battle of ups and downs. Let's say I do 2 shows in one night, a 7:00pm and a 9:30pm show. I can kill (for you non-comedy peeps, kill means doing well) on the 7:00pm, and then do just about the same thing on a 9:30pm show and have it go down the tubes (for you non-comedy peeps, "down the tubes" means exactly what it sounds like). One minute I think I am going to be a terrific comedian; the next minute I feel like I shouldn't even be allowed to hold a microphone.

I think there is a general misconception among people who don't do comedy. I've seen people come out of a show and be like, "that person's horrible" or "that person's great". Not necessarily true. A seasoned comedian can have an off night, and a less experienced comedian may have an incredible night. It is for these reasons that I think comedians should not be judged as either "good" or "bad" unless you have seen them about 5 times, because comedy is such an up and down thing. Its not each night that counts, but the overall progression of the comedian. After 5 nights, if you think a comedian is great overall, then go ahead and say so. If you think a comedian stinks, then go ahead and say so, he/she probably really does stink. Just my thoughts on seeing comedians.

Later,
Lance

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jump

Anonymous said...

Tortoise and the Hare